budgets

--- Larry <rocco16v@netzero.com> wrote:
> NarcolepticFlea's question about cheap performance
> got me ta' thinkin'....
> Just how much money have each of you spent in the
> pursuit of performance
> excellence?

I won't say what the '77 has in to it so far...mostly
'cause it isn't running yet and I don't really know
(or want to know) myself.

As it sits right now, my '88 16v has most of the
future '77 suspension on it, and the engine is stock
except for fuel enrichment and exhaust. I figure I've
got about $1800 into custom-valved shocks, coilover
springs, swaybars, bushings, etc, plus another $280 in
tires (Falkens are cheap!). Some was bought used, so
it would cost a little bit more new.

That's quite a lot for an A1 VW, but nothing compared
to a lot of newer cars, especially JDM cars. IMHO, it
would be pretty difficult to spend more than that
without going into crazy custom/enginneered parts.
That's part of why I like VWs! I have friends with
$2500-$3000 DMS coilovers on their Subaurs, and I
think my Koni doubles are as good.

Interesting story: There's a guy that lives near me
who is the original owner of a '87 16v. He's
rebuilding his car to absolute performance/showcar
specs. Massively built 2.1L engine, NOS, etc. He says
he's got at least $15k into it...and I've seen enough
actual receipts to believe him. Most of that is actual
performance stuff, but it does have some
mostly-tasteful but expensive non-performance parts
too. He hasn't done the paint yet tho...

Neal

=====
~Neal