budgets

In Tampa?
I'd love to see that when its complete.  The last time
I've seen a Scirocco was at the used car lot near the
university mall.  The last time I saw an orginal owner
16v was a neigbhor from accross the street.  It was
about 5 or so years ago when I last saw it.  I still
remember the sound of the 16v engine.
--- Neal Tovsen <nealtovsen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Larry <rocco16v@netzero.com> wrote:
> > NarcolepticFlea's question about cheap performance
> > got me ta' thinkin'....
> > Just how much money have each of you spent in the
> > pursuit of performance
> > excellence?
>
> I won't say what the '77 has in to it so
> far...mostly
> 'cause it isn't running yet and I don't really know
> (or want to know) myself.
>
> As it sits right now, my '88 16v has most of the
> future '77 suspension on it, and the engine is stock
> except for fuel enrichment and exhaust. I figure
> I've
> got about $1800 into custom-valved shocks, coilover
> springs, swaybars, bushings, etc, plus another $280
> in
> tires (Falkens are cheap!). Some was bought used, so
> it would cost a little bit more new.
>
> That's quite a lot for an A1 VW, but nothing
> compared
> to a lot of newer cars, especially JDM cars. IMHO,
> it
> would be pretty difficult to spend more than that
> without going into crazy custom/enginneered parts.
> That's part of why I like VWs! I have friends with
> $2500-$3000 DMS coilovers on their Subaurs, and I
> think my Koni doubles are as good.
>
> Interesting story: There's a guy that lives near me
> who is the original owner of a '87 16v. He's
> rebuilding his car to absolute performance/showcar
> specs. Massively built 2.1L engine, NOS, etc. He
> says
> he's got at least $15k into it...and I've seen
> enough
> actual receipts to believe him. Most of that is
> actual
> performance stuff, but it does have some
> mostly-tasteful but expensive non-performance parts
> too. He hasn't done the paint yet tho...
>
> Neal
>
> =====
> ~Neal

=====