aug tranny vs. 4k tranny

i just stumbled into an aug tranny with a fresh rebuild. i have a 4k tranny
that i was planning on having redone to use on my 2l 16v. i know the 2nd
gears are the only difference between the two, but which is better? and how
much of a difference is there between the 4k and aug? i suspect that the 4k
is the better option, but if there's not a huge difference between the 2 i
might just save my money on the tranny rebuild to put towards other needs.
tia
   hit

So Sayeth The Hitman
'86 "psycho 16v" scirocco