Using A2 rear Disks upside down on A1 Drum upgrade.

I understand you can use A3 rear disk calipers on A1 chassis cars (I
have an 81 Scirocco) as I know a guy who did it.

My question is whether the A2 & A3 calipers are close enough to
interchange, in terms of mounting points, etc.?

I also understand the A3 units have corrected allot of the problems with
parking brake binding that have plagued A1 rear disks in the past (16v).

It would be better to buy new but I have an 86 GTI awaiting de-parting
in the backyard already.

Lastly, for those who don't know- the idea is the later calipers bolt
up, but you need to swap the left and right sides and in doing so flip
the caliper around so that the bleeding screw is now positioned upside
down. Of course this would seem to be counterproductive but once bled
(lines connected but caliper unbolted from axle) they don't need anymore
use of the bleeder until it's major work time again anyway.

tia,
TBerk