Using A2 rear Disks upside down on A1 Drum upgrade.

--0-1004588214-1028925344=:13926

 i slapped a set of Mk3 rear calipers on my 91 Scirocco after the late Mk2 16v type seized within 2 months. They went straight on without turning anyway and work fine. They bolt straight on home - only difference is that you need a longer handbrake cable than the Scirocco 16v jobbies or they end up knocking on the exhuaust which drove me mad until i heat wrpped the cables but its not ideal.

Also the Mk4 ultra light weight rear calipers go on too in the same place but you need a different union for the brake pipe.

And I found they are perfectly bleedable the right way up on the right side of the car and combined with Scirocco 16v prop valves (cheers Cheapass Ron) work a treat. No problems in a year or so.
Maybe my UK spec is different or something.

Andy

  T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

I understand you can use A3 rear disk calipers on A1 chassis cars (I
have an 81 Scirocco) as I know a guy who did it.

My question is whether the A2 & A3 calipers are close enough to
interchange, in terms of mounting points, etc.?

I also understand the A3 units have corrected allot of the problems with
parking brake binding that have plagued A1 rear disks in the past (16v).

It would be better to buy new but I have an 86 GTI awaiting de-parting
in the backyard already.

Lastly, for those who don't know- the idea is the later calipers bolt
up, but you need to swap the left and right sides and in doing so flip
the caliper around so that the bleeding screw is now positioned upside
down. Of course this would seem to be counterproductive but once bled
(lines connected but caliper unbolted from axle) they don't need anymore
use of the bleeder until it's major work time again anyway.

tia,
TBerk

Andy Holmes

91 Scirocco Scala Inj
83 Jetta 2.1

---------------------------------

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail_storage.html
--0-1004588214-1028925344=:13926

<P> i slapped a set of Mk3 rear calipers on my 91 Scirocco after the late Mk2 16v type seized within 2 months. They went straight on without turning anyway and work fine. They bolt straight on home - only difference is that you need a longer handbrake cable than the Scirocco 16v jobbies or they end up knocking on the exhuaust which drove me mad until i heat wrpped the cables but its not ideal.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Also the Mk4 ultra light weight rear calipers go on too in the same place but you need a different union for the brake pipe.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>And I found they are perfectly bleedable the right way up on the right side of the car and combined with Scirocco 16v prop valves (cheers Cheapass Ron) work a treat. No problems in a year or so.
<P>Maybe my UK spec is different or something.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Andy
<P>&nbsp;