8v still wont start

rhys wrote:

> well i put the ground on and no go. i went back to the old plug wires and it will -almost- stay running. i put the ground on the bolt on the top right of the valve cover.
> starts up fine, runs for about a second and then dies. giving the car gas has no effect.
>
> the thing that bothers me is that i didnt DO anything other than unplug the wires, and one plug on the coil, which i plugged back in.
>
> i was putting some pressure on the dist. to get the plug wires on (they dont seem to fit well...), could it be that i screwed something up in there?

You've got to be sure the coil has it's wires hooked up to. During
cranking you get power via terminal 50, then after you get it via
terminal 15. Might have knocked one wire loose from the spades on the
coil.

Besides that I'm thinking you should:

- Pull the cap and verify it's OK inside.

- Verify the mark n the rim of the opened Dist (might be under dust
shield) that shows appox what position #1 is. Use this to orientate the
1-3-4-2 clockwise firing order. On most 8v motors it'll be kind of in
the One O'clock position.

- In the future, only pull and replace ONE cable at a time. Been there,
done the 'hooked it up backwards' thing.

hth,
TBerk