Failed Smog in CA: need help s/ 88 16v

>I've heard of people driving the piss out of their cars in order to get the
>cat really heated up so the HC's could drop.

FWIW, I use a reputable shop here in California. I pay them $50, which can
be nearly double some of the advertised rate, but they promise that they
will never lable my car as a gross polluter because they run a pre-test that
does not transmit to the DMV. They also never test the car cold. They will
drive it for me and roll it right up to take the test. Well worth the little
extra money to work with a shop like that.

-- Craig