Fuel infection woes

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Elijah R wrote:

> Well I am about at wits end with my car stuttering @2800 Rpm. I can't seem
> to get my finger on the cause, new pumps, new injectors, new ignition, new
> filter, new vacume lines, re-timed a dozen times. Who out there has
> converted to carbs and can anyone recomend a sidedraft setup for the 16V. A
> few of my MKI's I had a two barrel weber that traveled from car to car with
> me and they ran nicely, my mechanic had some delorto's that I was envious of
> cuz his MKI was faster than mine. But after being out of vw's for several
> years maybe there is some thing bigger better bader out there on the market
> now. I've seen a few pics wiht some nice setups. Any input would be much
> apreiciated.

Elijah,

If this is a CIS-E car, as I think all 16v models are, I have one possible
thought.  I don't know if CIS-E does this, but with Digifant on my bus, the
idle switch will shut off the injectors above something like 2500rpm to save
fuel (like if you're coasting down a hill and using the engine to brake.)
If the idle switch is stuck on, it'll always think you're idling, and cut
off fuel at 2x00 rpm, turning Happy Fun Bus into Doesn't Go Anywhere Bus.

I know CIS-E can't shut off injectors, but maybe it can lean out the mixture
enough at the distributor to cause that problem?

ian "$100 for a service manual?  I'll just wildly guess" Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL