[tech/help]2.0l 8V swap

> I managed to swap in the 2.0l 8V but I am unable to start the car.  I also
> installed the knock sensor system but I dunno if I've done it all correctly.
> This is all so frustrating....

Did you start the car before adding the knock sensor?  If so, the problem is in
the timing or installation of the ks.  After adding the ks, I had to advance the
timing a bit. It just cranked and cranked, but did not fire.  I guessed on
advancing the timing... and it worked.

> Nonetheless, I need to know what you guys have used in regards to the
> distributor.  I'm presently using the Audi distributor with the Jetta 16V KS
> wiring.  It's a plug and play design but how about the internals of the

Audi 3A distributor with 87 GTI KS.  It is a plug and play.  No internal
differences to worry about.  I ran with the stock wiring hooked up to this
distributor for 2 months with no problem (besides no timing advance).

> I'm guessing that my timing is off.  My cam sprocket is an adjustable one
> and there is no timing mark on the inside of the sprocket.  I think that

No idea on the adjustable sprocket.  BUT, if you think is correct, try advancing
the distributor.

Go try that, and when you come back, this page (still under construction) will
be up:

http://knocksensor.driversfound.com

HTH!

Greg :) 1985 Scirocco 2.0L 8V