Changing from Points to Hall type distributor

Okay I am new here, so I hope someone can help.  I just acquired an 80
Scirocco and it has points (yuck!).  I went to a junkyard today and pulled
the distributor (and plug with 2 feet of wires) and the coil from an 84
Scirocco.  But I just read a post that says you have to have some black box
to go with it.  Is this true?  The only black box that I saw on this car was
a huge one in the rain galley that said "Jetronic" on it.  That can't be
what I need is it.  Please help!!!  send pics!!!!
--
Dustin Ellis