Changing from Points to Hall type distributor

Dustin Ellis wrote:

> Okay I am new here, so I hope someone can help.  I just acquired an 80
> Scirocco and it has points (yuck!).  I went to a junkyard today and pulled
> the distributor (and plug with 2 feet of wires) and the coil from an 84
> Scirocco.  But I just read a post that says you have to have some black box
> to go with it.  Is this true?  The only black box that I saw on this car was
> a huge one in the rain galley that said "Jetronic" on it.  That can't be
> what I need is it.  Please help!!!  send pics!!!!
> --
> Dustin Ellis

The Jetronic box handles the O2 sensor type stuff.

What YOU want is the ECU that plugs into the other end of the wires than
run to the Hall sensor plug on the side of the Dist.

It's usually one of the 1st things to get slipped into a pocket at the
yard so very few cars have them just laying around.

On California cars there is a small black box that sits on top of the
ECU, it is a DIS (Digital Idle Stabilizer). It comes with two plugs and
often cars have the box eliminated and these male/female connectors are
plugged into each other.

Wire loom with connectors, Distributor, and ECU are what you are after.
You will have to cut ONE wire to separate the two looms (ECU &
'I-forget-what-the-other-wires-that-you-don't-need-are') from each
other.

Also ,early cars had a resistive wire, often colored White with  a
Violet stripe. It pugs into the back of the fuse box. It's recommended
replacing this wire (what I did was cut it off close to where it comes
out of the back of the fuse box and an a really nice men=dium gauge red
wire through the firewall in it's place.

hth,
TBerk