Bad alternator - Other Options?

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:05:01 -0600, you wrote:

>So my alternator light is on in my 16v transplant and I took the alt =
into a
>chain parts store to have it tested.  The guy says as soon as he spins =
the
>pulley  "...hear that faint scraping sound?...Diodes are rubbing.  This
>thing is bad or it wont last long."  It tested at about 10.5 V and the =
bench
>test thing was giving the diode warning light.  He must be right even if=
 he
>was kind of a jerk.  I have to other alternators.  1 has the wrong =
mounting
>"ears" but is the 90Amp (an Ebay purchase supposedly from a Scirocco) =
and
>the other is the 55-60A off of the 1.6 8V that the car used to have.  Is=
 it
>worth it to canibalize parts and try to rebuild this thing?  Actually if=
>did I would take the op to paint the casing to match the manifold.  $120=
 for
>a new "autolite" there more for a Bosch at NAPA or BowWow Im sure.  =
Looking
>for less expensive options.  Could just the volt reg be replaced to fix?
>Thanks as allways

Diodes are rubbing?  New one on me.  Pull the regulator/brush holder
and check the brush length.  If they are down to 1/4 inch or either is
not shiny black on the contact surface, replace the regulator.  That's
usually the problem when output is low and is the easiest to check.=20

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
http://home.att.net/~gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm