Tarantula rims, Magnesium?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 pbureau@attbi.com wrote:

> yes vw had 13" tanrantula magnesium wheels.

Hmm, my simple question has created quite a thread...

As to wether or not VW ever used mag for rims, I still dont know, but i
wouldn't put it past them...

As to your claims about magnesium's durability or lack thereof, VW used
magnesium alloy engine cases and transmission housings exclusively until
about 1970-1972, and continue to do so today (mexican & brazillian
beetles)

I have several examples of these engine cases, the oldest I have is from
1952 or so. All of them are perfectly serviceable and were Not polished
three times every day, to the contrary, they sat in a field in the ass end
of a car for 30 years in most cases.

Perhaps to keep them shiny or something you need to polish daily, but a
good coat of paint will keep corrosion at bay as well. or just keep the
water off seems to do the trick too.

Really, the only thing i have seen kill old VW engine cases was sitting
either in or full of water for extended periods of time, they turn to
mush.

Judging by VW's familiarity with magnesium, i wouldn't rule out that the
scirocco could or would have had mag wheels, wether it actually happened i
think ill say i believe 50% now :)

take care,

Steve

P.S. Think burning a chip of a mag rim would be fun, have you ever seen 3+
shot VW engine cases on the bonfire? 30 pounds of mag is quite a sight all
alight at once. Really it sucks though, as you cant look at it directly &
thats what your subconcious wants to do, its maddening i say. Now whenever
i go to a campout where one is lit off, i go away a ways & watch the rays
of light shoot up through the trees where i cant be tempted to look
directly...

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org