Reconsidering...

You can't say outright that a car that you've never seen is or isn't worth a
specified amount of $$$.  PERIOD.  There are MANY cars on this list that are
worth way more than $6.5 CANADIAN, which probably breaks down to about $4k
USD.  Certainly you can find a good example of a scirocco for less, and for
more.  My suggestion would be to have it checked out by somebody in the know
(if not yourself) and make a judgment call.    How many owners?  Who
maintained it?  Has it ever been wrecked?  Body condition?  Does it pull
strong and run smoothly?  Is it the original drivetrain?  Etc.  Do your best
to get records of maintenance and repairs.  Somebody looking to get this
much for it should have that kind of info available.  Daun is correct in
stating that it would be wise to expect some additional costs in the near
future being that you're buying a 16 year old car.  If it's been well
maintained and cared for it might be a better deal than one for $3k that
needs work right away.

As anyone on this list will tell you, Sciroccos are great cars, they're fun
to drive, not terribly difficult or costly to maintain, they look great,
they've got a ton of personality and they're getting more collectible and
rare as time goes on.  Golfs and Jettas don't really float my duck, but you
could probably get one newer and cheaper and I'd bet that parts are easier
to come by.  But it won't be a Scirocco.

- Jan Folkson
NYC, NY

http://www.janfolkson.com

'86 16V
'99 Passat GLS 1.8t
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8t

"We've got 160 miles to Chicago, a full tank of gas, half a pack of
cigarettes, we're wearing sunglasses and it's dark out" - Elwood Blues