O Gurus of Rocdom

I bet you could do it.  You do deep a few special tools though.  You will
need at leat a 8" gear puller to get to second, or a 10" gear pullet to take
the whole thing apart.  You will also need a good set of flatnose circlip
removal pliers, a large triple square hex tool to remove the 5th gear
retaing bolt (either the same size or the next size larger than a head
bolt),  a small triple square hex tool to remove the 4th gear bearing plate,
and a tool you will have to improvise to get the selector shaft cover off.
You will have to either use a 24mm nut or a 1" nut with some edges ground
down to fit into the large hex.  Basically if you pay attention to how you
take it apart and make sure you put it back together the same way you will
be OK.  The hardest part is fiquring out the shift forks, and if you take it
apart the right way you can even keep these in order.

Other things you will need.  New gaskets.  You can buy a complete
transmission rebuild gasket kit from IMPEX.com for like $50.00  This should
include the output shaft seals, the gaskets between the housing, the input
shaft and the pushrod shaft seal.  I don't know if it's included but you
should also get the brass pushrod pushing and replace it to while youor in
there because it's much easier to knock it out from behind while you have
the tranny apart.

One other thing to think about doing is installing the bolt kit for the
diff.  I paid $54.00 for impex.  If you don't and it blows up you'll hate
your self for not doing it.

If you decide to do I'll send you my phone number and I can help you through
it.  I also have a factory service manual for the 020 in the Golf and Jetta
that is basically the same thing, so maybe I can scan a few pages and send
it to you.

Alan