O Gurus of Rocdom

I've got a 87 16V with the stock Tranny, ABQ isn't it? I know but I've
forgotten. Anyhoo it is becoming apparent the synchros are definitely
bad (2nd is the worst)and need to be replaced. Here's the question:

Can a pretty decent shade tree mechanic do the rebuild and is it worth
saving the money? I've rebuilt several motors from 4s to V-8's and do
most of my maintenance work.

Are there special tools that one must have? I'm sure I can get it
pulled, etc. but I'm wondering if the Bentley is complete instruction
wise and as I've already asked I'm concerned there is some special tool
necessary (seems there always is)

If I do it I would do the bolt kit and probably the Peloquin LSD mod and
maybe go to a .81 or .75 fifth. I don't think I want to go the 4K route
and have to change drive flanges and besides whatever I put in I would
want it rebuilt before going to the trouble. I'm getting fatter and
older and don't enjoy the work as much anymore. P.S. it will be an
occasional fun driver and maybe everyday transpo.

So what's the word?

Barring that does anyone know of a good shop in the Louisville, KY or
Cincy area?

I wait with bated breath for the word from on high.