How screwed am I? (Was: won't start after cam installation)

--0-1379175346-1020051726=:24017

 Well, it finally started, but wasn't running so well. With the distributor turned as far clockwise as I could get it (because that was the way it was running the best), it was still running quite sluggish. After a little bit, I noticed there was a high-pitched clanking coming from the No. 1 area.
All I can assume is that the cam timing wasn't as on as I thought it was   :(
The instructions from Autotech say not to be alarmed if it ran rough and just to shut it off. So I did. I guess I'll try starting it up again in the morning...
But to hear the clanking noise?
Would the damaging of a valve be any more distinctive? How badly could the valve be damaged if it ran that way at idle-3000 for less than a minute?
Am I up shit creek? Anybody have a head for sale??!
(now I remember why I gave up D-I-Y jobs years back)  >:(
Any advice is greatly appreciated...
Thanks, Jeff
  Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
Just completed installing my autotech cams and new distributor, but the damn thing won't start.

Followed the directions to the letter, cam timing was on, engine timing was on...made sure everything was re-connected (plug wires in 1342 order CCW), but all it does it turn over. Rotating the distributor has no effect.

There was one tiny pop during the first crank, but then nothing...

It really seems that there's no spark at all or it's not being distributed right. I don't know what to make of it. I'm 99% positive I assembled everything properly. It was running fine before I started this, so i'm reluctant to think it's the coil....

I may try the old distributor for the hell of it...

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!  Jeff

--0-1379175346-1020051726=:24017

<P> Well, it finally started, but wasn't running so well. With the distributor turned as far clockwise as I could get it (because that was the way it was running the best), it was still running quite sluggish. After a little bit, I noticed there was a high-pitched clanking coming from the No. 1 area.
<P>All I can assume is that the cam timing wasn't as on as I thought it was&nbsp;&nbsp; :(
<P>The instructions from Autotech say not to be alarmed if it ran rough and just to shut it off. So I did. I guess I'll try starting it up again in the morning...
<P>But to hear the clanking noise?
<P>Would the damaging of a valve be any more distinctive? How badly could the valve be damaged if it ran that way at idle-3000 for less than a minute?
<P>Am I up shit creek? Anybody have a head for sale??!
<P>(now I remember why I gave up D-I-Y jobs years back)&nbsp; &gt;:(
<P>Any advice is greatly appreciated...
<P>Thanks, Jeff
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Jeff Toomasson &lt;jtoomasson@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>Just completed installing my autotech cams and new distributor, but the damn thing won't start.</P>
<P>Followed the directions to the letter, cam timing was on, engine timing was on...made sure everything was re-connected (plug wires in 1342 order CCW), but all it does it turn over. Rotating the distributor has no effect.</P>
<P>There was one tiny pop during the first crank, but then nothing...</P>
<P>It really seems that there's no spark at all or it's not being distributed right. I don't know what to make of it. I'm 99% positive I assembled&nbsp;everything properly.&nbsp;It was running fine before I started this, so i'm reluctant to think it's the coil....</P>
<P>I may try the old distributor for the hell of it...</P>
<P>Any ideas?&nbsp; Thanks in advance!&nbsp; Jeff</P>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-1379175346-1020051726=:24017--