decent wheel lug/stud combos

Umm...what exactly do you define as "hub-centric"?

My definition is that the hub carries the weight of
the wheel via the center ring/flange, instead of via
the bolts. This means the bolts are only responsible
for keeping the wheel on the hub (tensile stress) and
do not have to carry any shear loads.

If that's correct, the spacers are hub-centric as long
as they're either a good bit thinner than the factory
hubring (like 5mm) or *significantly* thicker (see
below). On 5 or 8mm spacers, the center ring on the
hub sticks out farther than that already, so there's
nothing H&R can (or needs) to do about it. They
maintain the factory hub-centric-ness.

The only way H&R could make what you guys are talking
about is if the spacer were significantly thicker than
the hubring, in which case the spacer would be
hub-centric to the hub, and the spacer would have a
machined ring on it so that the wheel would be
hub-centric to the spacer. The *back* of that ring
would have to be beyond the normal hub ring, and would
then need to be thick enough to carry the necessary
weight. That's probably not even possible on anything
less than a 20mm spacer!

If you need spacers that are more-or-less the same
thickness as the ring on the hub...there's just not
much you can do without custom-machining your own hub.
Try to think about how you would solve *that*
situation before you go saying a good product is crap.

BTW, the taper goes INWARDS so that the spacer fits
properly over the inside curve made between the hub
ring and the hub face. If you installed it backwards
and tightened the bolts, you've now got tweaked
spacers!

I have the 8mm rear spacers on my 16v, and they leave
enough of the hub ring exposed to carry the weight. I
can "hang" the tire on the hub while I grab for the
bolts. They are also perfectly machined to be a
slip-fit over the hubring. They're much better than
anything else I've seen. If you know of anything
better, let me know!

Neal

--- "Philip P. Mueller III" <PhilipM3@tiac.net> wrote:
> > The H&R spacers on the other hand are a
> disappointment for the
> > price. ($60/pr.)
> > It is partly my fault assuming the 8mm ones would
> be hubcentric...they
> > aren't :(
> > I will probably throw them on E-bay when I get the
> new ones.
> > I am going to be ordering thicker 15mm ones (this
> is supposedly the
> > thinnest size with the hubcentering ring).
>
> Same story here, except I got the 16mm.  Just a flat
> piece of aluminum
> drilled with 9 holes, 4x100, 4x114.5?, & the center
> hole which is tapered,
> nothing that any idiot couldn't make without much
> trouble.  The main problem
> with these is that the hub hole in the wheel is
> tapered, so by the time you
> space the wheel out 16mm, the wheel no longer
> engages the hub even the
> though the hub still sticks through the spacer.  I
> had actually considered
> trying the 8mm spacer (was just going to make them
> this time, not wasting
> more money), but I'm assuming that you are having
> the same problems.  I was
> highly disappointed, since they were described as
> hubcentric wheel spacers,
> that's the only reason I spent the cash in the first
> place.

> Philip P. Mueller III
> Westbrook, CT - USA
> mailto:philipm3@tiac.net