pulling engine without hoist?

You got that right!
Plus all the (free, for sure) high-dollar stuff they'd bolt on a car in 30
minutes.  Things like superchargers, headers (ha!), rack-and-pinions,
limited-slip differentials, etc.  They NEVER had one single problem!  AND
the damn car always started RIGHT up and ran perfectly!!   Didn't they even
have a chassis dyno in the garage eventally?
I just couldn't watch it for long....

Larry