pulling engine without hoist?

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Larry wrote:

> fryer-
>   Bite it and BUY one!!   You'll thank yourself every time you use it or
> your friends use it.  (you DO have a Vanagon, right?)   :)
> Besides, nothing gives the impression that you are a real, expert car-guy
> like a hoist in yer garage.  All your new-found friends will think, "Dude!
> This man is SERIOUS."

Nahh, an engine hoist doesnt say serious, at least not so much as a
hydraulic or electric car hoist (like the ones at the auto shop... where
they have pads for jack points, not the drive-on-store-your-corvette-
above-your-lincoln ones.)

If i ever walk into a man's garage and he has one of those, i'll have to
bow down or something...

They're about $2500-3000, but man would that be nice, raise the car to
walk-under height in about 30 seconds... stop me i'm fantasizing again. no
more jack stands or ending up rolling around in a sulphur scented gear oil
puddle or anti freeze down my arm & puddling under my ass or..... I think
with a tad bit of ingenuity you could even rig one to be an engine hoist
too :)

peas,

Steve

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org