GTX - Spares or repair, but act now to save it!

Hello all Scirocco fans out there!

It is with great sadness that I am disposong of my crash damaged 'D' reg
GTX tomorrow (Monday 22nd April 2002) unless someone wants to dive in and
save it - hence my joining this list after a last minute flash of
inspiration.

I am in South London (UK!), and if anyone contacts me by midday tomorrow
with a serious and practical proposition they can stop it from heading for
the breaker's yard. Due to parking restrictions in my part of the world I
cannot store it any longer - the local Council are on my case, so it has to
go. I am looking only for a small sum from you to take it away to recycle
or repair. Two good tyres on the front, alloy wheels, new windscreen two
years ago, new genuine VW rear springs 1996, new front struts 1997,
upholstery very good, 1800cc injected engine (112,000 miles) uses no oil at
UK legal speeds and returns about 40 mpg, rad is still OK, includes
roofrails which don't require roof-slots.

Crash damage is to front - I had a ?10?mph shunt which bent the bonnet and
front bumper, trashed the driver's-side light cluster and grille. I drove
it for three weeks afterwards until I could make alternate arrangements -
in fact I drove it 125 miles two days after the accident.

I had a lot of fun with this car in the 7 or more years that I owned it. I
neglected the bodywork but made sure that it was mechanically sound - if I
had the time and facilities (a garage attached to the house would be a good
start!) I would seriously consider repairing it myself. The insurance
assessor estimated the total cost of repairs at just under £1200, based on
prices for equivalent parts for a Golf , but said that Scirocco parts would
probably cost more.

Email me at clivebelbin@beeb.net or phone 020-8681-8693 but hurry! - if I
don't hear from you, it goes to the breaker's tomorrow lunchtime!