[HELP!] The continuing saga of Daun's poor running '80 Scirocco

In the never ending process of trying to get my '80 to run
right...

Current setup:
1.8 RD, electronic ignition, CIS basic. (No O2 sensor.  For
those who might remember, I've swapped the correct fuel
distributor back in that has no provisions for the
frequency valve.)

Typical behavior:
Cold start, idle is extremely low - around 400-500 rpm.
Revs ok but hesitates under load.  The hesitation decreases
as the car warms up (but still remains) and the idle comes
up to normal - about 900-950 rpm.  Bahaves somewhat like a
vacuum leak but I've not been able to find any.  (Any
thoughts on some 'not-so-common' vacuum leaks sources?

Another peculiarity to this thing.  Brake usage causes the
rpms to rise.  Pumping the brakes gets a good 300-500 rpm.
Brake booster bad?  And since I suspect vacuum problems,
could this have anything to do with the other poor running?

TIA...

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace