[HELP!] The continuing saga of Daun's poor running '80 Scirocco

--- Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In the never ending process of trying to get my '80 to run
> right...
>
> Current setup:
> 1.8 RD, electronic ignition, CIS basic. (No O2 sensor.  For
> those who might remember, I've swapped the correct fuel
> distributor back in that has no provisions for the
> frequency valve.)
>
> Typical behavior:
> Cold start, idle is extremely low - around 400-500 rpm.
> Revs ok but hesitates under load.  The hesitation decreases
> as the car warms up (but still remains) and the idle comes
> up to normal - about 900-950 rpm.  Bahaves somewhat like a
> vacuum leak but I've not been able to find any.  (Any
> thoughts on some 'not-so-common' vacuum leaks sources?
>
> Another peculiarity to this thing.  Brake usage causes the
> rpms to rise.  Pumping the brakes gets a good 300-500 rpm.
> Brake booster bad?  And since I suspect vacuum problems,
> could this have anything to do with the other poor running?
>
> TIA...

  Have you tried removing the EGR system yet?  We had talked about
doing this to eliminate vacuum connections and possible sources
for leaks/problems.  This sounds like a vacuum-related issue, but
even if this doesn't solve the problem it will still clean up the
engine bay.  ;)
  Is it true that the 80's had EGR, and the 81's did not?  All I
know is that looking into the engine bay of the '80 there were
vacuum lines galore, and then compared to my old '81 and Daun's
'81 there were far less connections...just wondering

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco