OT: Ford Escort Cooling Fan

Hey everybody:

I know this is monstrously off topic, but I've got a really good friend who
has a fairly modern Escort ZX2.  A 98 or 99 I think.  Anyhow, she's got this
shrieking sound at idle coming from the area of the cooling fan.  It lessens
when she turns on the A/C.  I thought it was the fan, so I nudged the
radiator.  It's in the mounts pretty loosely.  Anybody know what I should do
to fix this problem for her?  I can replace the fan, but I don't want to if
I don't have to.  I told her to get a Volkswagen but she wants to fix the
Ford.

Thanks

Dan
'86 8vScirocco