Gas tank issue

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Allyn wrote:
> Here is a better question, how do i get an honest answer out of them as
> far as if the tank has been swapped or not?
> Is there some kind of online vin/lookup thing?

That is a good question. Well, for what it's worth, my local
dealer lied to me when I asked whether my 88 had the recall
performed or not. He claimed that he looked it up and that my car
was listed as having the tank swapped....Then a year later (this was in
1997),  VW of Canada actually tracked me down as the 2nd owner of my
Scirocco and sent me a letter saying that according to their records my
car had yet to have the tank swapped and to come in for an inspection.
I haven't had many problems with my original tank, but I have been saving
this letter as it may save me $$$$ down the line. So to answer your
question, I believe VWofA would know, but your local dealer might try to
screw you over. At that point you need to find an honest dealer to
perform the work. Does anyone know of one in Ontario, Canada,
where  they in fact have had a 14+ year recall performed on their cars???
Thanks,
Kareem