[HEADWORK] Port Match and Polishing

More usefull info...

Of course without using a flow bench, it is just not
that precise, the key word is: street. Never to be
raced, etc. I am not into the ultimate HP numbers,
just a slight improvement over stock.

And I am being very conservative with the grinder,
very very conservative...

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato

 --- Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> a écrit : >
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:41:57 -0400 (EDT)
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Marc=20scirocco=20Qu=E9bec?=
> <marc_scirocco@yahoo.ca>
> writes:
>
> >P&P
> >I am using an air grinder with the above kit. I am
> >more or less doing a street port matching. going
> 1.5"
> >- 2" deep into the port to match with the gaskets.
>

> Without a flow bench, your very limited on what you
> can do. if your
> artistic and can feel the profile of a port and be
> consistent with the
> ports being the same shape, you can get away with it
> but the overall end
> result will not be quite what it can be for ultimate
> performance gains. I
> know a few people who shit can heads and they HAVE a
> flowbench. Its the
> OOPS factor. Happens.
>
> I will tell you one little secret (for 8v heads) you
> can do that you will
> see the best gain without the benefit of a flow
> bench.  Its like you
> describe, match port the head. Thats always a plus,
> it just sucks that
> the exhaust ports are always so hard to port. Ah
> well.
>
> Here is the bonus. Stick your finger into the port
> to the point where the
> port turns down and goes into the valve seat area,
> you will feel a small
> lump there that absolutely kills flow. This is a
> wicked transition point
> for airflow comming in and out of the cylinder.
> Almost like a 90 degree
> bend in the port. Round that over so its not such a
> sharp angle making
> sure they're all the same and you will see gains.
> Its not a procedure
> that you need to grind away pounds of material. It
> only needs reshaping
> followed up by a nice polish job. Great for the
> street. Consistency is
> the key. If your new to the porting thing, go super
> easy. Id recomend
> completely match porting first and after your done
> and got a good feel
> for porting, then try it. Again, go easy at it.
>

> >On the 8V head, all 8 ports have a nasty casting
> thing
> >(what's the exact word to use you English fellow VW
> >nuts?), remove it all the way.
>

> Flash? The part where the top and lower part of the
> head casting meets
> right?

YES!

> >Also, search the archives, Meze did post a long and
> >very interesting article about head porting.
>

> Thats a good read, isnt it! Yer welcome! :)
>

> Shawn Méze
> 86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
> Solo2 Champion
> 82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP
> Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
> The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking
> Scirocco(s) in all of
> San Diego!

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca