[HEADWORK] Port Match and Polishing

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:41:57 -0400 (EDT)
=?iso-8859-1?q?Marc=20scirocco=20Qu=E9bec?= <marc_scirocco@yahoo.ca>
writes:

>P&P
>I am using an air grinder with the above kit. I am
>more or less doing a street port matching. going 1.5"
>- 2" deep into the port to match with the gaskets.

Without a flow bench, your very limited on what you can do. if your
artistic and can feel the profile of a port and be consistent with the
ports being the same shape, you can get away with it but the overall end
result will not be quite what it can be for ultimate performance gains. I
know a few people who shit can heads and they HAVE a flowbench. Its the
OOPS factor. Happens.

I will tell you one little secret (for 8v heads) you can do that you will
see the best gain without the benefit of a flow bench.  Its like you
describe, match port the head. Thats always a plus, it just sucks that
the exhaust ports are always so hard to port. Ah well.

Here is the bonus. Stick your finger into the port to the point where the
port turns down and goes into the valve seat area, you will feel a small
lump there that absolutely kills flow. This is a wicked transition point
for airflow comming in and out of the cylinder. Almost like a 90 degree
bend in the port. Round that over so its not such a sharp angle making
sure they're all the same and you will see gains. Its not a procedure
that you need to grind away pounds of material. It only needs reshaping
followed up by a nice polish job. Great for the street. Consistency is
the key. If your new to the porting thing, go super easy. Id recomend
completely match porting first and after your done and got a good feel
for porting, then try it. Again, go easy at it.

>On the 8V head, all 8 ports have a nasty casting thing
>(what's the exact word to use you English fellow VW
>nuts?), remove it all the way.

Flash? The part where the top and lower part of the head casting meets
right?

>Also, search the archives, Meze did post a long and
>very interesting article about head porting.

Thats a good read, isnt it! Yer welcome! :)

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.