got another one (sorta)

-= story =-

'85 totaled in december. wanted another late mk2. daun directed me to one in w.v. go down last night and buy the thing. replace starter as necessary and find there's a leak at the water pump. try som stop leak, doesn't work. try to chance it and add water every so often. get on the road and about 15 minutes later the o/p light goes off and buzzes. pull off at a bp. go in and eat at the subway, go back out and find the v/c gasket is cracked. tighten everything down, add oil and water, back up to leave. car won't start. check this, check that - no spark. pull plug wires off and find ford plugs. ugh! go get new plugs and socket. remove old and replace. still no go. checked the coil wire and found it was broken inside. go and get a whole set of wires, cap, and rotor. good wires, bad coil. go and replace coil. car's happy and starts up (after three hours). go about another 15 minutes and happy o/p buzzer singing to me again. stop, turn the car off, add oil. see the river scirocco flowing down the road. car won't start, get pissed, get in other car and drive away to get trailer for tomorrow.

-= the car =-

not a bad '86. two tone red (mars red and duplicolor red) with a dent in the front left fender (repairable). spot of rust on top edge of the hatch and specks around door handles. wheel arches and rest of the car are rust free. minor dings here and there. interior in pretty good shape. drivers seat need restuffed, but excellent. right seat and rear seat have burn holes. no luggage cover. tires are shot (g.f. behind me said they were hopping up and down) and the wheels don't match. sunroof works but was caulked over because they didn't want to spring for a gasket. hvac controls self destructed on me (anyone have one lying around?) and radio is non existant. bits missing here and there. short-term project. will most likely transplant the engine from my '85 into this (lose about 50k off what the odo says). this one is definitely being set up to be a towing scirocco. only paid $300 for it. less than what i paid for my '85 from daun. trust me, they both look it. :)