for those of you that like low end torque...

Allyn, I know several of the Hardcore VW guys personally (including the
owners of the two cars whose specs you posted) and the answer as to why they
run the 1.8l 16v motors is simple. They're essentially free. Hell, I tried
unsuccessfully for two years to give away a 1.8l 16v block but to no avail.
Nobody wants these things. They're a dime a dozen if that much.

Another reason for using the 1.8l block is that the cylinder bores are
spaced farther apart. Thus, the headgasket sealing is potentially better.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!