[tehc] engine swap

At 10:08 PM 4/12/2002, Scott F. Williams wrote:
>Eric, Digifant I and II are totally different systems. The first version
>uses a MAP sensor and calculates the air volume. Whereas, the second type
>uses an air mass (hot wire) system which actually measures it. The Motronic
>used in the VW cars is also known as Bosch L-Jetronic. This is really an
>evolution on the CIS injection that we've used for years. Both Digifant
>systems, on the other hand, are full EFI.

Well, wait Scott... There are 2 Motronic systems used by VW... one is
K-Motronic and one is L-Motronic.  The 16V cars were first CIS-E, or
K-Jetronic.  K-Motronic (on the 2.0s) integrated the system into one
computer, and it could therefore also control timing... and it was based on
CIS-E.

The later Motronic cars (ABA, VR6, etc), use L-Motronic, which is "full
efi".  The difference is that the K stands for Konstant in German, meaning
of course constant -- or continuous... i.e. CIS.  The L systems use pulsed
injectors which open and close to deliver more or less fuel.

So, the ABA uses L-Motronic; the 9A uses K-Motronic.

Digifant was VW's attempt at an FI system; and seeing that they switched
back to Bosch systems, it's clear that they agree with everyone else -- it
sucked.

Jason

PS: I'm too lazy to run downstairs for my Bosch FI Book -- but if anyone
has any questions lemme know and I'll get up. :)