[OT] CIS Cabby to 16v?

On 4/10/02 4:22 PM, "Eric L Ellis" <onesixv@juno.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me all the ins and outs on taking a CIS '88 Cabriolet 8v
> to a 16v?  I know that I'll need (and I have) the intake and exhaust
> manifolds, but can I do the swap using the CIS injection?  Any wires need
> to be spliced, chopped, or added?  Please be as complete as you can on
> the instructions.  I have 4 16v motors here and I think I need to use
> them.

You will need the whole 16v head.  Might as well use the bottom end, too.

My advice is to do it right....get the bottom end tanked, replace pistons,
crank bearings, consider a bore-out, consider a 2.0L bottom end, and bore
THAT. I wish I had, but I had the whole 16v Scirocco so I went with it.
Motor mounts, gaskets, clutch, etc.....while you can easily get at the
engine, refresh them.  Ask yourself if you want to be there again anytime
soon.  Consider cams while you have the engine out.  Consider head work; ie.
P&P, decking.

My '81 had 90mm CV joints.  I switched to the AGB tranny that was with the
engine, and thus needed 100mm inners.  The normal thing to do at this point
is get new 100mm outer hubs/bearings.  I actually did NOT do this because I
had just done new 90's. (ok, it was before I knew a lot about working on my
own car and how easy it is with the right tool....paid someone to do it, so
I want my $$ worth).

*QUESTION FOR THE LIST* If you wanted to use say, a 9A on a 16v, do you just
need a 16v clutch, and just make sure you use the right sized inner CV's for
the output flanges you have on that tranny?

You will need the wiring harness, knock sensor control unit, and Jetronic
box from the 16v. It is MUCH easier with a Scirocco vs. Passat, since they
were Motronic.  The 16v Scirocco engine management harness disconnects from
the rest of the car via 3 wire connectors up under the O2 sensor/counter
box, where the speedo cable connects.  To tie the system into my car, there
were only 4 wires from that harness that needed splicing.  We would have to
study the '88 wiring diagram to determine what else might need doing, but I
would guess that it's just the same four wires.

You will also need the fuel distribution system from the 16v (yes, including
the injectors, they are different from 8v to 16v).  Again, MUCH easier if
it's from a Scirocco.  The newer 16vs have all that on the passenger side,
so you must replumb the fuel lines.

Get yourself a new knock sensor.  They're delicate, replace it while it's
there and accessable.  Torque it correctly, as per the Bentley.  Oh, you
have one of these, right?  Don't even BOTHER trying this without.

Exhaust will have to be changed. I went with a stock 16v Scirocco exhaust
from downpipe to just before the muffler.  A stock 16v muffler physically
won't fit under a Convertible/Cabriolet.  Have one of our friendly list
vendors hook you up with the right application.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.  Brett has been on my
case to do a tech  procedure on this....maybe I should get off my ass & do
it.

Eric, there are pix of my car on scirocco.org in the Dyno Day sections, and
on Potterman's site in the Virtual Car tour.  Feel free to email me back if
you've got more detailed questions.  I will be bringing it to Cincy if you
will be there?

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |