Prep work for painting

Instead of driving my '87 16V through the summer I
think I'm going to take advantage of the warm weather
and prep it for painting. I'm not sure of the best way
to do this. I'm thinking of sanding the entire car
down, followed by coating it with primer. The primer
gets wet sanded, then I take it in for a professional
to paint the car. I did all this when I was eighteen,
a long time ago. The car looked pretty nice at about
one hundred yards. I need to do a much better job this
time. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

=====
Jorel Jackson
web site:  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jomoj/
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos