Weekend experiences

Well, I get the project car back from the paint shop by the end of this
week so I decided to begin to ready "things" for it.  Wanna see it so
far?

http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v4

The first thing was to go to NAPA and pick up a can of the DupliColor
spray truck bed liner.  I like the matte black on the B-pillar and hatch,
but don't like the way the vinyl shrinks...or the cost for a new set.  I
took an old warped hood and cleaned a section and scuffed it lightly.
(800 grit)  Then I masked off a small section and shook the shit outta
the can.  I found that if you have a steady hand and can keep the spray
at an even distance, you end up with a nice, textured, satin black
finish.  Before it set, I removed the low tack masking tape. (the blue
crap you can get at HomoDepot)  This kept the edges from building up too
high and allowed them to flatten out slightly.  After it dries
completely, I'll give it a durability test by tapping it with a
screwdriver.

Then, I took the carpet that came out of the project car up to the car
wash.  It's in very good condition, as in the heel pad is intact and
there are no thin spots, but God knows what was embedded within the
fibers.  Sure enough, the high pressure spray chased a plethora of grimey
bits out of a seemingly clean carpet.  I continued till the brown water
ran clear and then took the carpet over to the vacuums.  75 cents later,
I had a very clean but slightly damp MK2 carpet that could pass for new.

Now, anyone know of a good goop to keep the carpet down when I put it
back in?  The original stuff is that rubbery black goo which would be
fine by me.

Eric
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!"
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v