Cutting springs

First let me say that I realize that cutting springs to lower ride heighth
is usually NOT the best way to do this for atleast a few reasons.  After
much archive searching and thread monitoring, I've decided that my setup
will be probly HnR Sport and bilstein sport.  In the meantime the 16v strut
assemblys on my Mk1 16v conversion are making the front end especially,
quite high.  Just over 5" gap above the stock 14" w/ 185 60s.
What are the several steps here for doing this.  Dissasembling the strut w/
spring compressors is the tricky part and then finding a shop that can cut a
coil or two off then reassembling.....
Ya spose I could drop them off at a "speed shop" an have them do it?  Cant
be too much labor involve for a shop w/ the right tools allready eh?
If I can even get 6 months or a year out of them before I blow out the
shocks from the unmatched shock travel/spring range, then I just give it the
old
"whelp..guess I'll call Potter for a new suspension..."  when i can afford
it a little better.
"spring cutters" chime in please

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"