Installing GTI pistons?

> Now that I am about ready to put my '84 JH engine back
> together, as a last minute performance upgrade I'm
> thinking about installing GTI pistons.  While I have
> worked on engines quite a bit, I still don't know the
> advantages/disadvantages of doing this.  Better power?
>  Better MPG??  Decreased engine life??  Would my

More power, can't say on effect of the MPG.  Shouldn't change engine life.
You will need to add knock sensing ignition.

> engine still be freewheeling(or whatever they call it
> when your valves don't bend if the timing belt
> breaks).

AS far as I know yes....it should remain a non-interferance engine.

>  Also, these pistons would be used, is that
> OK?  Finally, are these pistons the only reason the
> GTI 1.8l was rated at 110hp and the normal 1.8l only
> 90hp?  Are they both JH engines?  I assume exhaust may

No, they Golf GTI engines were RD code engines.  Biggest difference was
the pistons, which raise the compression ratio to 10:1.  That is the
reason for increased power, and the need to have knock sensing ignition.
I had a JH motor, with RD pistions, dual outlet manifold, race downpipe
and a g-grind cam.  Thing ran like a raped ape!  I say go for it!

> have had a little to do with the power differential
> also-  Thanks in advance,
> Rob

Well, as long as your aren't running that toliet bowl 4into1 manifold, you
will be fine.  If you do have that manifold, source yourself the 4 into 2
manifold and a nice TT dual downpipe.

Eric

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (Parts car again, no more DD duty)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (THE NEW RIDE)
00 Golf GL TDI (Katy is driving this for now)

-Kelli Fox