Installing GTI pistons?

Now that I am about ready to put my '84 JH engine back
together, as a last minute performance upgrade I'm
thinking about installing GTI pistons.  While I have
worked on engines quite a bit, I still don't know the
advantages/disadvantages of doing this.  Better power?
 Better MPG??  Decreased engine life??  Would my
engine still be freewheeling(or whatever they call it
when your valves don't bend if the timing belt
breaks).  Also, these pistons would be used, is that
OK?  Finally, are these pistons the only reason the
GTI 1.8l was rated at 110hp and the normal 1.8l only
90hp?  Are they both JH engines?  I assume exhaust may
have had a little to do with the power differential
also-  Thanks in advance,
Rob