Tire pressure was Re: My own 2 stupid questions (tires and trannies)

well I would normally agree with your Tberk and I will in general terms of
the discussion but it would seem that tire pressure recommended by the
vehicle maker "V.W in this case" did not take into account certain types of
tires, let me explain.

yes radial tires existed in the 80's and they rated the pressure for H-rated
tires, and when I had 185-70-13 Pirelli and Michelin H rated tires I will
agree the pressure was just fine and drove like a champion and got more than
warranties tread on tire's life

I now Have 205-50-15 Unidirectional (uni-rotational if you prefer) tires
(khumos 712 Escta's) and I started with 28lbs in tires and got allot of
squealing, and after 3K I had cupping on my tires. After talking with the
Tire shop, he suggested raising the tire pressure to 33lbs because they
where V-rated tires, and unidirectional . well, after experimenting, I did
climb to 30lbs, then 32lbs, and finally found the sweet spot of the tires
and I am at 34lbs with my khumos, no squealing, no additional pulling when I
break ...

So though I would say for any regular tire (H or T rated) to keep as close
as manufacturer indicate. but anything higher I would start minding what the
tire manufacturer would indicate. and use common sense as a tire on a 200
mile travel in 80's will raise 5-6lbs on the highway.

ATS - Patrick Bureau
1985 8v "ATS GTX" Prowler Orange Scirocco
1988 16v "ATS 16V" Tornado Red Scirocco
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
Web Site : http://longcoeur.com/scirocco