[Damn dealer.....]

"Nick" <86scirocco@jaxdubs.com> wrote:
I took my 86 16v to the dealer to see what was wrong with it since
everything I replaced wasn't helping. I was quoted $70 at Ash Tisdelles f=
or
a diagnostic (the only thing I wanted) and spent $45 to have my car towed=

there. Its been there since thurday. They call me today and with an
enthusiastic voice "Hey we got your car running!" I asked what was wrong
with it. Timming I guess was off, Hall sender was broke but they fixed it=
,
one vaccuum hose wasn't connected and something else I think. I asked wha=
still needed to be done. He said the distributor needs to be replaced but=

they fixed it for the time being. He also said that the gas tank should
probably be replaced because all of the rust it has in it. I asked how mu=
ch
it would be for both, the distributor would be about $550 installed and t=
he
gas tank would be $650 installed! I told him that I was going to do that
stuff later and asked what the final cost would be for the diagnostic and=
 he
all of a sudden got quiet and I heard in a soft voice the final cost is
$270!!!!! Thats $200 more than I was told, ontop of that I never got one
call askin me to approve the damn extra work they done!

I'm lucky, I've dealt with the same dealer since I got the Jetta in 87. I=
t's a
small town dealer , so reputation counts. But two merits? The one mechani=
c not
only knows what a rocco looks like, he races one. It's an 8 V though, on =
the
dirt oval. And the other bonus is they know what's up with diesels too, n=
ot
common from what I understand. I'm not saying they work on the car for fr=
ee
(although I have had small stuff done for free), but they are fair, that'=
s all
I ask. And they give me a decent discount on parts, the frequent flyer pl=
an I
think.  They never do unauthorized work, there is usually more than enoug=
authorized work to go around anyway, darn cars.