Timing marks

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1E280.E0068720

I just replaced the infamous valve cover gasket and camshaft seal on my =
16V and re-adjusted the timing because it was a little "retarded". If =
you removed the cam sprocket ( the big one) make sure you installed it =
the right way otherwise your timing will be wrong. The sprocket side =
that has an extended lip and all those words "VW, England" is supposed =
to face the head and not the fender. If you removed the camshafts , line =
up the two marks with the edge of the head, and check the lobes of the =
intake and exhaust face upward TDC on cylinder #1. If that's the case , =
your cam sprocket inner mark should line up with edge of the head.
The crankshaft pulley has a mark that should line up with the little =
arrow on the plastic cover.Last, pop the distributor and check that the =
rotor is cenetered at #1 wire, if not loosen it up and center it.. Put =
the timing belt on the cam sprocket and make sure it's tight between the =
cam and the intermediate shaft, take the slack on the tensioner, if you =
don't , you will screw it up.
Demetri=20

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1E280.E0068720

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just replaced the infamous valve =
cover gasket and=20
camshaft seal on my 16V and re-adjusted the timing because it was a =
little=20
"retarded". If you removed the cam sprocket ( the big one) make sure you =

installed it the right way otherwise your timing will be wrong. The =
sprocket=20
side that has an extended lip and all those words "VW, England" is =
supposed to=20
face the head and not the fender. If you removed the camshafts , line up =
the two=20
marks with the edge of the head, and check the lobes of the intake and =
exhaust=20
face upward TDC on cylinder #1. If that's the case , your cam sprocket =
inner=20
mark should line up with edge of the head.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The crankshaft pulley has a mark that =
should line=20
up with the little arrow on the plastic cover.Last, pop the distributor =
and=20
check that the rotor is cenetered at #1 wire, if not loosen it up and =
center=20
it..&nbsp;Put the timing belt on the cam sprocket and make sure it's =
tight=20
between the cam and the intermediate shaft, take the slack on the =
tensioner, if=20
you don't , you will screw it up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Demetri&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1E280.E0068720--