alternator swap

My alternator died the other night, idiot light fluttered on and the voltmeter
read 12v flat.  When I checked the pulley I could feel some play in the
bearing.

I have an extra 90 amp alt. that came with the car, however it is the notched
tension adjuster style and the mounts are different.  Can I swap the cases
between the two...  Has anyone done this before?  The label on the bad alt. is
gone and I don't know if it is 65 or 90 amp.

Would it be easier to find one that matches?

Thanks!
Matt

'87 16v