Re: clutch replacement question

Dave Novak wrote:

> Ok, the clutch on my Fox stutters.. time for a new one, no?
>
> The question is do I just replace the clutch disk, or do I get the kit? I'm
> seeing clutch discs for like $43 instead of the usual $120 for clutch kits.
>
> It's just the clutch disk that wears out, right?
>
> -Dave
> '88, 89 Foxwagens

Depends. Depends on how many miles, how hard you are on the clutch, what
shape it's in inside (you wont know till you get in there), and how soon
you want to be back in there again.

The kit usually includes a new pressure plate to go with the disk and
some new bolts. You can reuse the but it sure is a good idea to use new
ones. In any case be sure they have locktite on the threads (new ones
do) so you avoid oil leaks and bolts backing out later.

The flywheel might be OK, usually I just slap the new stuff in there and ride.

hth,
TBerk