From: "Gary Huff" <scirocco86@home.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Heat shield? (melting steering rack bushings)

> So, I have a TT 2.5" downpipe on my 16v car, and converted it to manual
steering. Here's the problem, the TT downpipe doesn't have a heatshield.
Consequently, it gets hot and starts to melt the passenger side steering
rack bushing. Not cool. Is there a manual rack heatshield which I am
missing, or should I just build something out of whatever seemingly flexible
metal I can find at home depot? Anyone else have this problem? I need to
have this car aligned, but I don't want to have it aligned when the rack
bushing is slowly melting, and altering steering rack position over time
:( I figure maybe if there isn't one available, I could make one out of
sheetmetal, or something that would just go directly between the downpipe &
bushing, using the upper bushing bolt as a mounting point. Doesn't sound too
hard. Is there something I can get that's factory or off another VW which
would do the trick?