Re: Rotor Question.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:09:08 -0700 "Randy B" <sirocco@telocity.com>
writes:

>Seems to me (no experience yet, only had the slotted on for 1 mo. now)
>that the slotted would eat the pads quicker than the X-drilled.

Ill use the "look what the REAL race cars use" defense. I follow a large
array of racing from Nascar to IRL, Cart, F1, Dirt track, Rally, IT and
pretty much anything with 4 wheels that competes. From what I have
gathered, whether by hand's on visual cue's, TV magazine shots, most
everybody in the racing scene are using slotted rotors. (Except the drag
racers and they use a wickedly drilled cast lightweight rotor. Does not
apply but deserved mentioning.)
No, the slotted rotors do not eat pads. I know what your thinking but the
pads flat surface keeps the place of the rotor and does not allow the
pads to be chewed up. I have ATE Power disc's on my GLi and recently
installed a new set on my 84 Scirocco for the road racing event at Dubwar
where they performed well above my expectations in the 103F degree heat.
my GLi has had the same rotors on the car for quite a while now. I went
thru a set of Ferodo's in about 3 years on that car. All I did was throw
on a new set of Ferodo's and go. Since it (WAS) the wife's primary car, I
just wanted her to have a little better braking than stock since she does
tend to drive a bit more aggressive than I do. Now she's in the Roc....
Cant figure out why she wont get on the track..... I digress..

Anyways, there's lots to be said about grooved rotors. Drilled rotors do
a good job but cost and rotor life expectancy are a factor for most
enthusiast. the real racers have no budget for great brakes and they pick
the slotted stuff. Its for a reason.

BTW Randy, I almost duplicated your "ND-Hotel-Fest-Braking-Demo" the
other day....  My SP8000's stuck tho. Must of been the Ferodo's :)

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!