From: "Marc scirocco Québec" <marc_scirocco@yahoo.ca>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 1:35 AM
Subject: RE: the function of rear wings...

They are called spoilers because they SPOIL the
airflow around the car, hence the air pushes down on
the spoiler who in turn pushes down on the back of the
car so the rear axle has more traction, as the rear of
a car has a tendency to lift at speed.

> > The so called GTX wing was better than the 16v
> wing
> > because it was only half as heavy and had a more
> defined edge.

No no no, it has nothing to do with the actual weight
of the spoilers... It works with the air flow, and you
have to drive fast to notice anything usefull. If it
was better, it was better by design. Of course any
smartass lugging around bricks in the trunk will get a
better traction, but this is different. :)

 --- Patrick Bureau <pbureau@home.com> a écrit : >

> One of the reasons why I swap the big-lip spoiler on
> my 85 to the
> "GTX" also really know as the Zender Bi-Spoiler
> rear wing... I have not seen any difference in
> driving my car
> around between the big lip and the Zender spoiler

You will have to really drive it hard and fast to
notice something, not just drive around. :) At over
120-140 Kmh you will have more overall stability.

>    ___ __________
>   / _ /_  __/ __/ A Texan's Scirocco,
> http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/
>  / __ |/ / _\ \   1985 Prowler Orange 8v
> /_/ |_/_/ /___/   (ICQ) 32918816 (AIM) Patricdlc
> (Yahoo)
> texascirocco

In fact if it was made in Germany, it is the law over
there to have functionnal spoilers on a car. Any
aerodynamic package needs to be functionnal to be
legal on a car.

I read once that the VW Scirocco 16V body kit (as seen
in N-A) is good for 1 mpg at highway speed. So the car
slices better through air. You probably need less HP
to hit 160 as well (Kmh of course, eh I am in Canada).
Nothing major of course, but better than a kick in the
butt.

I am sure that you get an equal benefit from the
zender body kit, It probably is fully functionnal as
well as good looking.

So please have a good laugh next time you see any big
ugly useless spoiler on a car...

Cheers

Marc
'83 Scirocco