RE: [?] crunching in the front

Oh, wow, one I actually know the answer to!

If it is kind of a bass whump-whump-whump, that speeds up and slows
down with the car in all situations, then it is a wheel bearing. I
live in a city with really bad streets, and I have heard that sound
often. Jack up the car and see if the front wheels have any vertical
play. If a wheel has any play, it is the wheel bearing.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.