[OT] Eleven Ways Every American Can Help Win This War

Eleven Ways Every American Can Help Win This War
Rod Shealy, Sr., September 15, 2001

In addition to my role as a newspaper publisher (and occasional writer), I
have also spent much of my adult life as a political campaign manager and
consultant. In virtually every political campaign, there are supporters who
ask, "What can I do to help?" Over the years, I have learned to reduce
campaign strategies to a list of simple tasks which any individual can do to
help.
Since September 11th, I have heard that same question being asked over and
over: "What can I do to help?" This time, however, it is not a political
campaign, but a far more serious matter. All Americans seem united in their
desire to help. We ALL want to do something to help with the relief efforts
and to avenge this cowardly attack on our nation. But we are frustrated
because there seems to be little we can do.
Indeed, our President and military leaders have a difficult job ahead as
they choose the correct path to fight our hidden foes, some of whom may well
be living among us. The war ahead is unlike any war history has ever
recorded, and the objectives are still unclear. But, even as our nation's
military strategies are still unfolding, there are ways every individual
American can and should help to win the war ahead of us. Here are my
suggestions:

Give. Give money, give blood, and give food to the relief efforts for the
victims of the first attack of this war. Donate to the American Red Cross,
the Salvation Army, or any of the hundreds of other relief efforts which are
collecting needed money or supplies. And keep giving when future needs
arise, as they most surely will. This war we must fight to prevent future
attacks on America will be long and costly. Every American must be prepared
to give.

Help keep our nation's economy strong. Continue to make purchases as you
normally would. Continue to invest in the businesses which are the economic
backbone of the most powerful nation in the history of the world. Wisely
invest in those industries which have suffered temporary setbacks due to the
September 11th attack. America's air transportation, travel, financial and
insurance industries will bounce back strong... and our confidence in them
will help them regain their strength even faster.

Conserve fuel to weaken our enemies' economy. If we conserve fuel, their oil
industry will suffer. We in America have the inventiveness to develop power
sources which can eventually make their oil unneeded. We already have the
technology for alternative power sources, and now we will certainly develop
them. In the meantime, we should cut off our enemies' money supply by no
longer using their oil.

Fly the flag. Flying the Red,White and Blue is more than symbolic support.
It helps boost the morale of our entire nation. More importantly, displaying
our unbridled patriotism and determination sends a strong message to the
world that could help sway "neutral" countries to support our cause. The
world must understand that all America is united, and the sleeping giant has
been awakened. Every American can help by proudly showing our colors.

Wear a confident smile... and offer an encouraging word to everyone you
meet. Attitude is infectious, and it is important that our national attitude
remain positive, even in the face of depressing news. During World War II,
Churchill's "V for Victory" and Roosevelt's words, "We have nothing to fear
but fear itself", boosted our attitudes and made a difference in the war
effort. In the days following the September 11th attack, a counselor friend
of mine described incidents of "misplaced anger" between acquaintances. A
cheerful comment to a friend or a total stranger will help alleviate the
tension, frustration and anger that all Americans feel inside.

Help make America more productive. Work a little harder or a little longer
at your job, or find ways to be more efficient. Every little bit of extra
effort makes your company more productive, which increases our national
output. When our national output, productivity and profitability are
increased, there are more tax dollars available to support the war effort.
If every American increased his or her daily productivity by just 15
minutes, our government would have many billions of extra tax dollars to
help win the war.

Volunteer in your community. Even if your volunteer activities don't seem
related to the war effort, they probably are. Most volunteer activities help
solve local or national problems. When these problems are handled by
volunteer efforts instead of by government, tax dollars are saved. So when
you volunteer to pick up litter, help in the schools, raise money for cancer
research, feed the homeless, shelter stray animals, or help with any other
volunteer activity, you are making it easier for the government to devote
tax dollars to the war and relief efforts. As our nation prepares for war,
it is more important than ever that we give our volunteer efforts to
strengthen our communities and our nation.

Pass along your patriotism. There are many, many young people who do not
understand patriotism the way we do, because they were not taught the way we
were. The abundances of our great nation have distracted us from teaching
our children how that abundance is possible. Our younger generation needs to
understand the greatness of America to fully appreciate the blessings of
liberty. Let us teach our children patriotism, and instill in them the
values which will give them strength to endure a war which they may someday
be forced to help fight.

Prepare yourself. Make yourself a better, stronger person. Prepare yourself
mentally, physically and emotionally for a war we cannot predict. This is a
different kind of war -- unlike any war we have fought before - and we
cannot rely on the military alone. We have already seen that the enemy may
be among us. EVERY true American must be prepared for the unexpected with
stronger, healthier minds and bodies. The battles in this war could be
fought with computers, or with hand-to-hand combat, or with biological
warfare, or tactics not yet conceived. Every battle is won before it is
fought. When we prepare ourselves, we help win the war.

Meet your neighbors. And get to know them well. One of America's greatest
strengths is our cultural diversity. It is critical that we not let that
diversity divide us in this time of crisis. We can best protect ourselves
from divisiveness by becoming closer: Meet your neighbors, especially those
who may seem "different" than yourself; communicate with them and get to
know them; and understand that their love of America is the same as yours.
And, by communicating with our fellow Americans who share our patriotism, we
will help officials isolate those few who do not.

Reaffirm your faith. Pray. The September 11th attack was aimed not only at
our nation, but also at our faith. The war we must now wage is more than a
battle of nations: It is a battle of good versus evil, a battle to stand up
for the Judeo-Christian beliefs which formed the basis of our nation. With
God, we cannot fail; without God,we cannot succeed. The power of prayer can
defeat any foe.

And one more special thing you can do to help win the war....

Be a leader. In every war, leadership makes the difference. In this new kind
of war, we cannot rely totally on military leaders or government leaders. We
must have leaders throughout our land to inspire our nation. You can be a
leader in your community, your church, your workplace,or your classroom. You
can be a leader on your block or in your home. When you inspire others to do
the 11 things listed here, you are a leader, and your leadership will help
us win this war.

Rod Shealy, Sr.
September 15, 2001
RodShealy@aol.com