Vacuum lines on mk1

Today I have been working on my '80 rocco... trying to find and
fix all the rust on the car is proving to be a frustrating process...
While I was exploring around under the wheel wells, I noticed under
each front fender there are plastic canisters with vacuum lines going
into the engine bay.  One line connects the two cannisters, one line
goes to the back of the intake manifold, and then it looks like one
vacuum line goes back towards the rear where the fuel filler neck is.
So, who has removed all this stuff?  Would there be any problems if
I were to remove it?  I imagine that this has to do with emissions,
so I just want to be sure that it is "safe" to remove these items.
If anyone can explain exactly what to do I would appreciate the help!
Thanks

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v