Oil Filter Gasket Blowup! (Part III) and Q's...

Also titled: 16-Victor becomes 16-Valdez, of oil spill fame.

It happened again today, just after getting confident that all was
well.  I was just leaving work, not even off the curved driveway out.
Bzzzzz from the dash and a check of the rearview shows a nice oil
trail. At least it showed that I did hit that last apex nice and late.

Since I smartened up and began to carry a spare filter and gallon jug
of oil, I was able to refill and get home.  Off comes the pan and WHAT
THE HELL IS THAT?  A big rat's nest of stainless steel wire, caught up
in the oil pump pickup.  Off comes the pump and sho nuf, a piece of
wire is caught up in the pressure relief valve piston, holding it
closed.

I check #3 main bearing and all looks well so unless I do further
checking all will assumed to be well with the engine.

More inspecting made it seem to me that I should be able to see around
the back of the #5 bearing cap and peek at the  stainless steel wire
spring around the rear main seal...but I can't.  The spring ain't thar.
 Hence the wire in the pump, methinks.  Some may recall my earlier back
trouble when I had to have Dad reinstall the seal, PP, flywheel, and
tranny...regardless, this engine does not leak a *drop* of oil.  So
that seal hasn't gone (yet!)

Anyway, now I need a pump.  What's the best high-flow VW oil pump app?
16V?  G60?  2.0l?

Was that black plastic baffle on all 16Vs?

Also, someone who's familiar with bottom ends - could you please verify
that I *should* be able to see that spring around the rear main seal?
So I look elsewhere if that ain't my problem?

Thanks, have a beer for me to  commisserate...

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump