What's the straight dope on SS brake lines?

     I had bought the party line that metal braided brake lines give a
firmer pedal but if the construction of the SS brake lines is like our fuel
lines, it seems that there is plenty of space for expansion of the encased
rubber line.  Does the braiding limit the expansion of the brake line?  Can
you see the rubber line completely fill up the braided portion if you step
on the pedal?  If not, a plain rubber line isn't going to expand any more
than a SS line.

     Another reason for my doubting Thomas mode is that I'm assuming that
when someone installs SS brake lines, they will be replacing possibly
decades old rubber lines which have gotten soft and spongy with age and
ozone as well as putting in fresh fluid and doing a careful bleeding.  On
top of this, new pads and rotors may factor in.  So how much of the reported
increase in pedal feel is actually due to the braiding and not due to a
general freshening of the brake system or even worse, a placebo effect?  If
anyone can set me straight on this, please fire away.  benton-----