Re: Difference between outer CV joints

The difference is the diameter of the CV joint itself.  If you compare a
100mm to a 90mm you will see the difference.  A 90mm will work in a 100mm
application (outer only) but a 100mm will not work in a 90mm application
(gets stuck in the hub and will not turn).  I have heard that 100mm axles
are better for everyday driving and drag racing but the 90mm axles are
better (longer life) in racing that includes hard cornering such as
autocross.  I don't have first hand knowledge of this but my friend that
autocrossed his MK1 had much better luck (only one set) with his 90mm axles
when he kept breaking the 100mm axles.  HTH!!

Dave